Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Tomato Tradition~

It's summer, so that means it's time to can!
A tradition started by my mother before I was born...
One she instilled in me from as young as I can remember...
And one that I am teaching my children to love and appreciate.
~Olivia washing the tomatoes/step 1~
 
 ~Ethan boiling the tomatoes for a few minutes, then putting them into cold water to cool/step 2&3~
 
 ~cooling toms~
 
 ~Me, cutting the softened tomatoes into a pan, preparing them for cooking/step 4~
 
~Emma, just being precious, drying off a tomato after it has been washed by Livy~
 

 ~Emma's tomato~
 
~Ethan wishing he could help me cut the softened tomatoes~
 
 ~getting fresh cooling water~
 
 ~cooling toms, waiting to be cut~
 
 ~tomato love~
 
~My sweet, diligent boy, helping me stir the first "cooking" of tomatoes/step 5~
 
 ~filling the jars, with the hot, cooked tomatoes/step 6~
 
 
~removing air bubbles with a knife/step 7~
 
~add lemon and salt to filled jars for preservation/step 8~
 
~add lids, and water bathe for 40 minutes/step 9&10~
 
~discard cutting scraps, and tidy kitchen while waiting for jars to water bathe/step 11~
 
~sweet Elijah playing with his pattern blocks. He had no interest in the tomatoes~
 
~enjoy the beauty of your handy work/step 12~
 
Thank you, Mom, for teaching me the art of canning...
 
Titus 2:3-5
 

No comments:

Post a Comment