Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Long Winter~

I love reading the Laura Ingalls Wilder books to my children. They are so rich with stories that tell of the way life used to be. So many things can be gleaned from the books. Most evenings, before I put the kids to bed we gather together in the living room, and I'll read a chapter, or two, or three! I loved something I read recently, and wanted to share it here.

"Anybody knew that no two men were alike. You could measure cloth with a yardstick, or distance by miles, but you could not lump men together and measure them by any rule. Brains and character did not depend on anything but the man himself. Some men did not have the sense at sixty that some had at sixteen. And Almonzo considered that he was as good, any day, as any man twenty-one years old."

Almonzo Wilder in The Long Winter

No comments:

Post a Comment